- 1/4 cup uncooked millet
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 2 small eggplants (about 3/4 pound total)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1‑1/2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Cook and stir millet in large heavy skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.
2. Cut eggplants lengthwise into halves. Scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch-thick shell. Reserve shells; chop eggplant flesh. Combine 1 teaspoon red bell pepper and 1 teaspoon green bell pepper in small bowl; set aside.
3. Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add chopped eggplant, remaining red and green bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir about 8 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
4. Stir in toasted millet, chicken broth, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 35 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed and millet is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour 1 cup water into 8-inch square baking pan.
5. Fill reserved eggplant shells with eggplant-millet mixture. Sprinkle shells with reserved chopped bell peppers, pressing in lightly. Carefully place filled shells in prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.
Serving Size: 1/2 eggplant with stuffing
Fiber - 7 g
Carbohydrate - 20 g
Cholesterol - 9 mg
Saturated Fat - <1 g
Total Fat - 3 g
Calories from Fat - 18 %
Calories - 122
Protein - 6 g
Sodium - 99 mg